About the Program
TEXO’s Safety First program is a hands-on, interactive orientation for commercial construction employees in all divisions so they can learn the essentials of jobsite safety. This unique program provides an industry specific orientation in safety which all commercial contractors can use. Endorsed by industry leaders in the field of construction safety, during each instructional session, participants handle the equipment they are being trained to understand and operate. Participants also have real-time conversations with the instructor and other class participants on the components of each module.
The program consists of 10 modules (see below) covering a variety of construction safety and health topics which workers may encounter at a construction site. At the end of every module, participants are given a quiz to test their knowledge and comprehension of the material presented.
- General Project Safety Rules
- Workplace Housekeeping
- Drug Education
- GHS (Hazard Materials)
- Fall Protection Awareness
- Stairways & Ladders - Subpart X
- Welding, Cutting & Brazing - 29 CFR 1910 - Subpart Q
- Fire Protection & Prevention - CFR 1926 - Subpart F
- Electrical Safety - Subpart K
- Hand & Power Tools
- Motorized Equipment
- Site Traffic
- Excavation & Trenching - Subpart P
- Confined Spaces
- What Every Employee Needs to Know about 1926.1400, "The Crane Standard"
The Safety First program covers the required 7.5 hours of the OSHA 10-Hour program. Upon successful completion of the Safety First program, participants have the option to return on a Friday to attend the 2.5 hours General OSHA information session. Upon completion of the General OSHA information session, the participant(s) will receive their OSHA 10-hour card in the mail.
Schedule / Program Fee:
Safety First is offered Monday through Thursday in both English and Spanish at the Construction Education Foundation DFW Education Center (E. 14th St, Irving, TX 75063). The class meets 7.5 hours each day beginning at 7:30 am.
- The program fee is $55 per person for TEXO’s Contractor members
- The program fee is $75 per person for non-members
- Non-members MUST pay in advance
- Participants have the option to return to attend the 2.5 hour General OSHA information session.